Saturday, December 3, 2011

David Beckham - had no transfer talks with Paris Saint-Germain

The 36-year-old is coming to the end of his contract at current club LA Galaxy, and the French side are favourites to capture his signature


2011 MLS Cup,David Beckham,Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy
Getty Images

David Beckham insists there has been no contact between himself and Paris Saint-Germain regarding a transfer, as the midfielder considers his options at the end of his LA Galaxy contract.

The Ligue 1 outfit have emerged as the favorites to sign the former England international and their position was strengthened earlier on Tuesday when Tottenham effectively pulled out of their pursuit for the veteran after Harry Redknapp admitted he could not guarantee Beckham regular football.

The Manchester United legend won the MLS Cup with the American based outfit at the weekend, but his current contract is set to expire and his possible availability has alerted a handful of teams around Europe.

Premier League sides Spurs and QPR have both placed their interest into the midfielder, but PSG look to be heading the way to capture the Englishman’s signature, even if the player himself denies any communication with the club or the French team’s director of football Leonardo.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/gna.enus/level2;tile=3;sz=160x600;ord=440129?area=2l&pos=2&ord=440129"></script>

"I have not spoken to Leonardo actually, he sent me a message of good luck but I have not spoken to him about a PSG move," he told Sky Sports News.

"Talking of playing in England I have always said that unless it was for Manchester United I would feel weird," Beckham continued.

"It is the club as a boy I always wanted to play for, I always wanted to start my career there and finish it there.

"Obviously I moved away to go to Real Madrid, but I am still a Man United fan so playing for another club would be weird and I don't think that will happen - but who knows."

Regardless of the interest from other sides, Beckham insists he is still thinking about his future in America and would not consider another loan move.

"I would consider staying at Galaxy, it is one of my options," Beckham said.

"Going on loan was something I did a couple of years ago to Milan solely to try and stay in the England team and after that I got my Achilles injury and I think playing so much football in a short space of time was a factor," he explained.

Galaxy’s MLS success at the weekend was the first time they’d picked up the national accolade since 2005 and Beckham says it’s just the reason he traveled over the Atlantic for.

"This was the last piece of the puzzle," he said.

"I always said off the field I had achieved everything I wanted to as I wanted to raise the profile [of MLS] and wanted it to grow, I didn't think it would happen that quickly and I am proud of that but on the field I wanted a trophy which I got at the weekend."

On his remaining dream to once more be part of the national setup, he said: "I always dream of playing for England.

"Every time they play, I am proud, I am an England fan. Would I play again? I would love to play again. Will I play again? Who knows, it is though one of the reasons I have never retired from international football."

No comments:

Post a Comment